Thursday, June 11, 2009

Acid Reflux

Chances are you know someone with it. This diagnosis has become very popular these days, especially in children and babies. I have talked to several moms who gave their babies medication for Acid Reflux and at one point I was concerned that my baby had it. There was a period of time where he spit up almost everything after breastfeeding. I quickly ran to my computer and began researching because I did not want to give my baby medication for what seems to be a problem that is over diagnosed. The advice I found most helpful was to change his nursing position by making sure that he was angled head up and to avoid bending him in half. This was somewhat difficult given that he was so flimsy at the time but I gave it a try. It took a while (and I do not give up) but he got better without medication. He did not starve or lose weight so I figured we were okay.

I started researching the causes of acid reflux and began to see a connection with the way our world works now. Acid Reflux can be caused by poor diet, eating late, laying down after eating, eating acidic foods, overeating, and being overweight. If this is not a wake up call to parents, it should be. Parents are so busy these days that children are given premade meals, they eat late because that is when they get home, and they probably overeat because they are so hungry by the time they finally sit down to eat.

Some of the suggestions I found for children are to eat frequent small meals throughout the day, eat less sugar and acidic foods, do not eat late, and do not lay down after eating. I would suggest the typical 3 meals and 2 snacks that all children should be getting. Take away the sugary foods (chips, candy, soda). Do not feed a child with reflux right before bed.

Of course some children have an abnormality that will cause reflux, but giving them reflux aggravating foods can only make it worse. Once again I think it all goes back to the way things used to be. The more we conform to the world's standard of being over scheduled and way too busy to care for our children appropriately, the more we (our chidlren) will suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment