Friday, January 2, 2009

No Child Left Behind Act Part 1

NCLB, you've heard of it right? Everyone seems to have an opinion about it these days. NCLB stands for the No Child Left Behind [Act]. I for one, support it which is a taboo thing to do in the world of education. I am in the minority among colleagues, especially those in special education. Allow me to explain my stance.

When I walked into my special education classroom for the first time it was somewhat more than I had expected. It was a normal classroom, placed in the middle of other normal classrooms. There was a large quantity of normal curriculum, although I had no idea which was to be used for what. I had five working computers, more than other regular education classrooms. There were age appropriate tables, age appropriate chairs, and wonderful chalkboards. It was all normal. What does this have to do with NCLB you ask? Keep reading.

Prior the the enactment of NCLB, special educators were on a different level. They were not afforded the same "luxuries" as other teachers. By luxuries I mean curriculum, supplies, you know the basic needs of a learning environment. It was blatant discrimination. It was wrong. Suddenly, when NCLB was put into place special needs students began to matter. Why? Because their scores on the tests mattered too. Special educators began receiving the same curriculum as the general educators. Special educators were invited to the same training as general educators. Materials became a necessity for special needs students for the first time in the history of special education.

Thank you George w. Bush for doing more for special needs students than any other president in history. No legislation is perfect, and I do believe NCLB can be improved, but I am so thankful for the chance to have everyone treated equal in the school system.

I will continue with NCLB and why I think grade level curriculum exposure is appropriate for special needs students in further posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment