Friday, January 2, 2009

In Defense of Teachers

My teaching career consisted of three years in the preschool setting and four years in the elementary setting. In seven years I taught every age from two to thirteen and every grade from preschool to sixth grade. I have been educated in Psychology, Child Development, Special Education, General Education, CPR, First Aid, and the list goes on. Prior to my teaching experience I was a Parent Educator for a company contracted by Social Services and it was my job to work with families that had been referred for some type of abuse. During this time I went to homes, worked with shelters, monitored visitations, drove children to visitations, and whatever else needed to be done. I have worked with the rich, the poor, the strong, the weak, and those somewhere in between.

At each of these jobs my employers provided an infinite number of training opportunities and I learned so much. There is something to be said for educators despite what society is saying today. Teachers are some of the most hardworking people I have met and they do this with very little recognition. Of course everyone knows teachers make very little money for the amount of hours and effort they put in. This should tell you something--teachers teach for the love of teaching. Sure there are a few now and then that have other motivations, but given such a large profession, there are bound to be those that do not fit. Usually they quit very quickly after they realize teaching it is not as easy as they thought it would be. I'll never forget the day my coworkers and I sat down to lunch with a man on his first day hired to teach the sixth grade at our school. He looked frightened and scared. I must admit, it was a tough school with tough kids. That was the last time I saw that man. Gone on the first day. Needless to say, it takes a special person to teach and to teach in a low income environment. You know if your talent is such on the first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment