Friday, February 6, 2009

“Medium or Large?”

Have you noticed the fast food marketing lately? It really is deceitful. I was ordering a value meal from Del Taco and they responded back to me, “Medium or large?” I said medium thinking it was the smaller of the two and I did not need all the extra food. What I did not realize is that the value meal as priced on the menu comes in a small size. When they asked me if I wanted medium or large, I assumed I had to choose one of them. Sneaky, but obviously it works. I have to remind myself when ordering to say small is fine when they ask “Medium or Large?”

2 comments:

  1. good catch, I don't know if I would have noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have a long history of this. I worked for them 20 years ago when they came out with the 49cent menu. We were told if the customer didn't specify .49c bean burrito, don't ask, just charge them for the .99c burrito because most won't fight it at the window. I was recently in one in Tustin and was anticipating this recent tactic. I said "neither, I want the one on the menu", he said "oh, that is the medium" and rang it up that way. I said "no, it isn't and I want what is on the menu". He backed it out and re-rang. A ethical way to upsell is obvious and Del Taco chooses an unethical way to do it, on purpose.

    ReplyDelete