Saturday, February 28, 2009

Beware of Soy

In the last few weeks I began researching soy and soy products for the possibility of using a soy based formula. I had heard that there was estrogen in soy so I was wary to begin with. I just could not imagine that people are unknowingly pumping their children full of estrogen. I typed several different phrases into Google such as “dangers of soy” and “soy harmful”. I could not believe how much information sprung up. I understand that you have to be very careful when reading information on the Internet, never knowing if the site is reputable. However, there seems to be a growing amount of people trying to get the public’s attention about the dangers of soy.

Here are just two quotes from a plethora of data on a website called soy online service that I found to be very alarming. I also read similar findings on other websites.
http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/03soymyths.htm
Most modern soy foods are not fermented to neutralize toxins in soybeans, and are processed in a way that denatures proteins and increases levels of carcinogens

Soy foods contain trypsin inhibitors that inhibit protein digestion and affect pancreatic function. In test animals, diets high in trypsin inhibitors led to stunted growth and pancreatic disorders. Soy foods increase the body’s requirement for vitamin D, needed for strong bones and normal growth. Phytic acid in soy foods results in reduced bioavailabilty of iron and zinc which are required for the health and development of the brain and nervous system. Soy also lacks cholesterol, likewise essential for the development of the brain and nervous system. Megadoses of phytoestrogens in soy formula have been implicated in the current trend toward increasingly premature sexual development in girls and delayed or retarded sexual development in boys.


For now, I’ll stick to breastfeeding. I do not want to use a dairy based formula due to the risk of causing milk allergies and I certainly feel less comfortable about soy. From what I have gathered, anytime you hear of a new “super food” look for the person or corporation behind it making millions of dollars off of unsuspecting consumers who are just trying to do the right thing.

2 comments:

  1. What you have posted is statements about the dangers. That is all fine and good. But, where is the proof? Where are the references and how good was the research project? Just reading about statements is not enough. We need research projects that show this. Or, at least enough evidence that people are suffering from the ill effects of soy products and what these are. Also, why aren't the Japanese suffering from all these ill effects? I lived in Japan 12 years and we ate tofu quite often. I don't remember the soy drinks that are common today and we didn't take soy flour or soy powder or anything of that sort. The fermented foods such as natto and miso was eaten commonly. Moreover, beans of any sort have trypsin inhibitors, prevent absorption of zinc, etc. So does grain. So where do we go with all of this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your questions are exactly what many parents are asking. There is much research out there, but you have to look for it. What I have gathered as far as the Asian cultures (and what you confirmed) is that they do not consume soy at the same levels that we are consuming it in the United States. Here it is in everything, but not in its original form. Most Asian cultures, from what I have read, consume smaller amounts and not in the modified form.
    It is interesting what you mentioned about grains, especially with the grain allergy epidemic our children are now facing.
    My information is not scientific, just wanted to report out what I've been finding in my personal research. It seems like many things in moderation can be healthy, but when they are modified and thrown into every product we need to "beware".
    "So where do we go with all of this?"
    --for me, I will not give soy formula to my infant.

    ReplyDelete