Thursday, February 5, 2009

How to Save Money by Making Your Own Foaming Hand Soap

We use a large quantity of soap in our household. Having a baby and a dog will do that to a family. A couple years ago we made the transition in our home from regular antibacterial liquid hand soap to foaming antibacterial hand soap. When comparing the two, it seemed obvious to us that liquid hand soap was a much better deal for the money, but once you go foam you cannot go back. We have tried, but it just seems like the liquid soap will not rinse off our hands after using foaming soap. I thought we were stuck paying the same price for a bottle with mostly water in it as we would for one full of liquid soap. It is no wonder Bath and Body Works has been increasing its supply of the foaming soaps. It is a huge moneymaker for them. Scented tap water to wash your hands anyone?

We were looking for ways that we can cut back on our spending and I thought this might be an area. I was ready to go back to the liquid soap, or even bar soap, when I did some research online and found that making foaming soap is a cinch. I already have the dispensers from my Bath and Body Works purchases so that part is taken care of. Now we just need a good smelling antibacterial liquid hand soap or dish soap and we are set to make our own. If you are partial to the Bath and Body Works or Williams Sonoma scents like we are in my family just buy one of their large refills of liquid soap.

This is the recipe I will follow:
2/3 cup of water
2-3 Tablespoons of liquid soap

Step one- gently mix the soap and the water (do not shake)
Step two- pour into foaming soap dispenser
Step three- enjoy the money you are saving

2 comments:

  1. I just made my first Sweet Pea foaming hand soap! THANK YOU, this one refill bottle (2 for $10) will last a year this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well "Ryan", what a good idea! I know Bath and Body Works makes more liquid soaps than foaming, so this will make it easier to get the scents I want too. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete